"[Louis Comfort Tiffany]'s windows surpassed in quality and quantity, any that had preceded them." This quote, from the fly leaf of Alastair Duncan's book, Tiffany Windows (1980), an indispensable resource for Tiffany researchers, just begins to touch on their significance. In this book, Old First's two windows are included in an inventory of Tiffany stained glass. Upon reviewing the many colored plates, a similarity is noted between our windows and others in the book, most noticeably a resemblance between The Parable of the Talents and flanking panels of a window in St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Paterson, New Jersey, The River of the Water of Life, described as, "…one of Tiffany's most successful ecclesiastical commissions." The dark color scheme and design elements, such as the massive columns and lintels, are similar in both.
These windows are less unified thematically than the Heinigke and Bowen windows on the opposite wall, but are unified via a similar color palette, which was employed by three separate studios.
The crown in the central medallion of this third massive Rose, above the trio, represents the Kingdom of God.
One can see perched to the right of this ensemble, a magnificent organ designed and built by the Roosevelt Organ Works for this specific site; it is fully attuned to the sanctuary’s impeccable acoustics. One cannot imagine the church without either its stained glass or its towering music; the two cannot be separated.
Old First views its sanctuary holistically, honoring all of the arts and senses. The 1890 Steinway grand piano was restored this year, already benefiting music groups and concert goers, and enlivening the services. As to the organ, restoration is ongoing. This great room already reverberates with its restored foundation tones; the base sounds rumble aloft to the spaces around and above these glorious windows, bringing the 1890s alive, the heyday of Brooklyn, when the instruments were new and the windows were bright.
Suydam Family Memorial Window
The dedication of this window is to the Suydam Family, descended from Hydrick Rycken who came to America in 1663. In 1710 his family adopted as their surname the name of his birthplace Suyt-dam meaning “South of the Dam”. The white chrysanthemums in the border are softly sculptured pieces of heavy opalescent glass. The window was given by James Schoonmaker Sudyam, a banker and son of Moses and Mary (Schoonmaker) Suydam, who lived on Lincoln Place. James was a deacon at Old First.
The Empty Tomb
In the lancet on the right hand side we find the story of the Empty Tomb of the Resurrection. At the top of this window is an open Bible. The scene is of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene being greeted by an angel at the now empty tomb on Easter morning. This window follows the account of Matthew 28, while the great painting above the chancel by Virgilio Tojetti, follows Luke. The delicate shades of glass depict the sunrise. On the left side not visible in this photograph, are three small crosses on the hill of Calvary. The inscription in the panel below reads, “He is not here, he has risen,” Matthew 28:6, “And if Christ be not risen, your faith is in vain."
|• WELCOME! •|
|WORSHIP & GUIDANCE • EDUCATION • FELLOWSHIP • LOVE & OUTREACH
HOSPITALITY • OUR GIFTS
|MUSIC • HISTORY • ARCHITECTURE • ART & STAINED GLASS • WINDOWS TOUR|
|STAFF • CALENDAR • EVENTS • CONTACT US • DIRECTIONS • SITE MAP
THE REFORMED CHURCH
|• HOME PAGE •|
© All photographs and images are copyrighted and require permission from artist to download or use. Photographs are by Jane Barber unless otherwise noted.
Written content edited from many sources previously produced by the Church and by Rev. Daniel Meeter.